Saturday, June 03, 2006

Question: "Did you find European girls any different from American girls ?" Elvis : "Girls are girls as far as I'm concerned!"

Ain't that the truth !

Menopause the Musical : saw it tonight at the 12th night Theatre. Funnily enough on recommendation from one of our male work colleagues. He demanded we go. So me and a couple of girls booked tickets and went along.

From the outset, I thought, this is Sex and the City 30 years on ! Set around 4 women, stuck in a department store, openly discussing, celebrating, berating, crying, laughing over that one era of a womans life that brings on the "change" .. There was a housewife, TV Star, Power Executive, Earth Mother (seeeeee same characters !) .. except the women in this musical were more believable and likeable hah ..


From the dimming of the house lights and the announcement to "set your mobiles to vibrate" .. I kinda knew this night was going to be "special". And ! so did quite a few men, I would say that there was a 20% ratio of men .. not bad odds really.

The night was a joy ride full of great songs, great singers, great coreography, great script ... all in all a hell of a great time ! The only downside .. I think I'm going through menopause ! (noooooooo I'm not that old!) .. but the first scene involved a womans memory, or more accurately the lack of it : Just a few hours before my girlfriends and I were discussing the new Star Wars Movies and had to ask the much younger waitress who it was who played Obi Jan Kanobi (yes yes we knew it was Ewan Macgregor, we just couldn't remember) eek ! We were also discussing Europe and cannot remember for the life of us where Budapest is ! I'm voting for Hungary ..

There were too many moments for me to pick a favourite. But a definite highlight was when the Power Executive metamorphed into Tina Turner. Another memorable part was being picked out of the crowd at the end of the show to go on stage with about 40 other women (my fault for being in the 4th row, aisle seat), to sing and celebrate "Menopause!" but but I'm not that old !

Enjoyed the night immensely. Wish you all coulda come along .. every single one of you .. hah ..

No comments: