Thursday, May 11, 2006

Elvis has Left the Building

Who remembers the day Elvis died ?

I don't! I just remember Elvis, the singer, the entertainer, the movie star. As a young girl I was mesmerised, by his voice and his looks. I still am ! So much so that I joined the pilgrimage to his final resting place for his 25th death anniversary. I discovered alot there. Elvis transcends nations, tongues and people. This was obvious by the costumed up Japanese and Russian and Mexican and dare I say Australian Elvis' ! mostly attired in their white glitter suits and capes. Elvis actually had much better taste than some of the gaudy costumes his impersonators wear today.

Why did this guy impact on my life ? I blame my dad. He lived and breathed Elvis and since I am his offspring, I do too. One always follows on from their parent right ? Goodness I hope my offspring forgive me for liking The Osmonds !

So now we have a world without Elvis' presence and yet it still turns. There are alot of people missing from my world. The most influential one being my dad. I have always wondered, when I leave this earth, what will people remember. But as I get older, I have figured it doesn't matter the impression I leave after I have left. What matters is the impression I leave daily with those I come in contact with. In the big eternal scheme of things, we are all going to leave this life. But the place we are heading gives so much more hope and promise than what we have left behind.

There were many many things at Graceland that I soaked up and admired about Elvis, but one part that has left a lasting impression on my mind is the room of cheques (checks) .. throughout his life, he had a habit of writing cheques to people he saw in need - total strangers in the street were often surprised by this man and his cheque book. How do we know ? The bank kept all of the cheques and they now stand in a room at Graceland, plasted to the walls, as witness to this act of kindness. I want to be more kind, not for recognition, but for my own well being.

Well this is my first blog. I have no idea what direction this blog will go, Should I have a theme ? I sort of have a theme, Elvis and Pirates, I wonder where it will lead. If you happen by accident to come upon my blog, bear with me. I'm a learner, in the art of writing.

Kia Kaha !

No comments: