Saturday, May 20, 2006

That was the best five bucks I ever spent! - Elvis thinking back to his first record

It started like this. I was sitting there minding my own business. In walked the niece. The niece with the mobile.

Niece: Aunty, do you have a mobile ? no ? wow ! I do ! Is that because you are too old and can't use one ? haha ! You know I'm only kidding aunty, but did you know that you could text me on one errr if you had one ? So why don't you have one aunty ?

Baby Brother: So sis, you know if you had a mobile, well, your boyfriends could ring you.. oh yeah.. you don't really need one do you.. hmmm

Younger Sister: Look what my hubby got me for mothers day! a mobile! it even has mp3 player and video recorder and photo taking capabilities .. and look I can save someones picture so that if they call me, it will show their picture, cool huh.. so what does yours do ? oh yeah .. you don't have one.

Optometrist: Okay can you please fill out this card .. (I hand back the filled out card) .. Oh you forgot to put your mobile.. oh you don't have one ? wow ? (writes on card, girl without mobile) .. (three days later when picking up subscription) .. Hi what's your name ? OH ! the girl without the mobile (yeah its written in red on the top of the card)

Mother: oh listen to my phone when it rings, it has this great song, don't you just love it! It's so great being up with technology .. you should really try it !

...

Yeah so I have now become one with the world. Today I bought a mobile .. a V360 .. the same one my sister got for mothers day .. hah ! see you don't need to be a mum to get a mobile, you can just go get one yourself.

At this moment the said mobile is being recharged. Once that is done all I need to do is figure out how to use it. It scares me .. considerably. Now I know what my father went through when the modern day VHS Video machine came onto the scene, he spent most of his life cursing it and pushing buttons until one would turn green. Luckily for me on the mobile there is only one green button .. I'm sure that's how it turns on right ? but how do I turn it off ?

AARRGGHH .. I feel like a part of my innocence has just slipped out the window ! I am part of the modern world .. even if it IS pre-paid ..

So who can I ring ? who wants to ring me ? huh huh .. just as I thought ..

2 comments:

Joy said...

Yesterday, I was coming back from a 5 day roadtrip with my bro and the pseudo-bro. We traveled 500 miles yesterday, and by mile 300 my bro and i were bickering. We then switched it over to text messaging, then we started playing the alphabet game over text messaging. Yes we have unlimited text messages between us (we are on a family plan with our other sibling).

Trude said...

actually I have noticed how all of us having our mobiles has in some small way brought my family together . . For instance last night out of the blue, my bro and his family stopped by .. to show me how to use my mobile .. they ended up staying for dinner .. me and my bro sat at the table for a good hour, checking out our phones and all the features .. BONDING !