Monday, September 04, 2006

Crikey ... what a sad day

Steve Irwin Died. He's become an Australian Icon.

To be honest the first I ever heard of him was from American friends who raved about him.. At first I thought he was a total nutcase ! But boy did he put Australia on the map.

We all grew to fall in love with the guy. What was it that was so good about him ? Besides the Crocodile thing. Well let me share my impressions.

He was truly a down to earth aussie yocker, top bloke. Pure and simple. He was never pretentious about his fame and his wealth. What money he did make always went back into the causes he cared about - protecting Crocodiles and Wildlife. He made the outback come alive ..

You know what else, he was a very genuine, very nice bloke. Being able to live not that far from his Crocodile haven, I have visited quite a few times, and more than once I have spotted him riding around the park on his motorbike. One time I was listening to some guy on a didgeridoo all of a sudden Bindi (Steve's daughter) popped up and started playing with the guy; then out of nowhere Steve rode up on his bike to pick her up. He was just that approachable and likeable. And that folks is why he will be missed. And that folks is why there are alot of sad people around the globe, this very night.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Im still in shock. I think another part of what made him great was his love for his family, and the fun relationship he and Terri had. Man, my heart really goes out to her and the children.

Joy said...

Thanks Trude--I always thought he did a lot of good for Australia but didn't know what the Australians thought of him. My heart goes out to his family too. Especially the three year old that won't really remember his dad.

Trude said...

yeah ... my heart really does go out to the kids as well .. but you know kids go through things like this every day .. His son will have a legacy of programs and interviews and media reports from the last decade to remember his dad by .. and he will be proud of his dad ..

I hope one day either Bindi or Bob take over the family business .. that would be nice ..