Sunday, May 06, 2007

Ah the Serenity


I remember when I was younger. I'd watch older folk and think .. man .. when I'm older I'm not going to change. I'm still gonna do all this stuff I do now.

Yesterday I discovered I'm older. Yesterday I went to Movie World. Back in my spritely younger days I can remember going to theme parks and running around 100k's an hour from ride to ride, making sure I got on the scariest ones first, making sure I went more than once, making sure I always got in the front carriages. Yesterday, my friends and I walked around leisurely, enjoying the little shops with the t'shirts and trinkets with warner bros characters plastered all over them. We waited patiently in lines and chatted about things. We bought ice cream and sat on the benches in the main street, the benches under the shade, and watched the younger folk running backwards and forwards from ride to ride, chuckling to ourselves at their craziness. We even brought a picnic lunch and sat under a tree and ate it. Instead of getting the greasy hot dogs and hamburgers with fizzy drink, available for the price of an arm and a leg.

Twas a really relaxing day at one of the biggest theme parks on the Gold Coast. It's so cool getting old.


Last night we celebrated Cinco De Mayo. Don't ask me exactly what it is. But gosh I love mexican food. Too bad I couldn't eat most of it, on account of my diet and all that. Actually I couldn't eat any of it. But I did. I just couldnt go past the guacamole chips. We even had a pinata, not quite a donkey but a unicorn, which really is related to donkeys you know, except for the growth coming out of their forehead. Happy ! Mexico Cinco De Mayo day! I should really look it up to see what it's all about. Does anyone know ?

4 comments:

Gail said...

All I know, being another foreigner is it is something about a war that the mexican people fought and won against the french who owned much of the US at one time. So I think it meant they kept some part of their territory. I think! I also heard that it is actually celebrated here in the US more than most of mexico and most people think that its mexican independence day... which it isnt.

Funny about the changed time makes in our activities, isnt it. You look great though.

Trude said...

aahh so Cinco De Mayo is just another excuse for a party .. actually that's what one of the guys at work said when I told him I was going to a Cinco De Mayo party on the weekend. He asked what that meant, I said 'I dunno', he said, 'you and your friends will find any excuse to have a party.'

Shannon said...

I don't really know what the meaning of cinco de mayo is either, but Josue thinks it's funny that people north of mexico celebrate it, because he says they don't even celebrate it in Mexico. I guess it's an excuse for non mexicans to party! ha!

I just read abi-g's comment and realize she pretty much just said that. She's smart. And for those who care, Mexican Independance Day is Sept 16 and it's a whole lot of fun. You get to go out in the streets and scream VIVA MEXICO a whole bunch. I enjoy it.

Darlene said...

Conco de mayo is like Mexican Independance Day... so kind of the equivilant to America's July 4th.