Saturday, October 20, 2007

Okay so I'm thinking, biking is a health hazard.

I have ridden my bike all of 3 times !

The first time was after I bought it, I had to push it to the petrol station to pump up the tyres. On my way I passed a group of guys, who were mocking me for not riding it up the hill ... I was like .. ugh dur brainless heads, the tyres are flat.

The second time you heard about, yeah the super gran incident.

Then ! this past week at tap dancing one of the ladies mentioned that the next day was 'national ride your bike to work day' .. so I did ! As environmentally aware as I am.

I left home bright and early, thinking it takes me two hours to walk home so it will probably take me about an hour to ride. It was a great ride ! I even over came my fear and rode up one of the biggest hills, even though I could see power walkers on the horizon, but I rode straight past them as they were huffing and puffing, yeah they obviously were not wearing super grans walking shoes. Me the road my bike and the car exhaust fumes were one with nature. I went so well that when I got to the street where I work I gave a little yelp, and pedalled with conviction, the conviction of one who has excelled at something. I even had a little bit of a whistle. I was sky high. Then came the driveway curb.

Somehow my bike wheel and the driveway curb did not mesh together. The driveway curb rejected my bike wheel and wouldn't let it connect. I went for a tumble - and proceeded to scrape my knee, leaving bits of it behind. So bad was the occurence that my boss made an incident report, which will be presented to the safety committee at their next monthly meeting. One of the questions on the incident report is, "what will the person involved do to ensure the incident does not happen again" - I suggested "If the person involved had a company car, the incident would not have occurred in the first place". The other question on the incident report is, "what does the supervisor/manager suggest to ensure the incident does not happen again" - He wrote, "Ensure that Trudy gets off her bike and walks when approaching hazards, such as roads, footpaths, tracks and other general public nuisances".

4 comments:

Laura said...

Aaaaaw, Trudy! That makes me so sad!... but you were wearing a helmet, right? Maybe you need some knee pads too.

Trude said...

thankyou laura :-) for caring ! yes I wore my helmet .. and i'm thinking you're right about the knee pads ... just gotta wait till my knee grows back ..

Tora Family said...

AaaWWW-TRUDE, sorry, but it doesn't make me so sad...it makes me laugh histerically! That sounds like something I would do. Actually, it is something I have done. Anyway, well done and hope your knee heals well.

Daisy Paige said...

Ha! That story was hilarious! I would have felt bad if you landed in the hospital, but since you're okay, kudos to riding to work!